Conducted by Sunita Jain
Asst. Professor, PCER
Date: 15th August, 2015
Communication is an integral part of personality development. As student teachers it is essential that they communicate effectively. A workshop was conducted on 7C’s of communication. The objectives of the workshop were as follows:
- To develop foundation of motivation among students
- To develop decision making process among students
- To facilitate socializing skills among students
- To raise the morale of our students
The following elements were discussed.
Each element was discussed in length with relevant examples.
- Completeness – The communication must be complete. It should convey the actual message with all figures and facts required by the receiver. The sender of the message must consider the receiver’s mind set and accordingly convey the message. Following are the features of complete communication :
- Complete communication serves the purpose of the message.
- It develops the personality of the sender.
- They are cost saving as no extra costs is incurred in conveying extra message since crucial message is sent in one go.
- Overall it is complete.
- Conciseness – Conciseness means communicating what you want to convey in least possible words. But doing so one should not forgo the other C’s of communication. Conciseness is essential for effective communication. The features of Concise communication are as follows:
- Concise message is both cost-saving as well as time-saving.
- It is comprehensible and more appealing to the audience.
- It is non-repetitive in nature.
- It underlines and highlights the main message as it avoids using excessive and needless words. It avoids verbosity and verbatim.
- It provides essential message in limited words to the sender.
- Consideration – Consideration means “stepping into the shoes of others”. Effective communication must take the receiver into consideration, i.e., the receiver’s view points, education level, background, mind-set, etc. Always predict your receiver, emotions as well as problems and their requirements. Ensure that the dignity of the receiver is maintained and their emotions are not hurt at any point of time. Modify, reconstruct your words in message to suit the receiver’s needs while making your message complete. Features of considerate communication are as follows:
- Emphasize on “you” approach.
- Show optimism towards your receiver. Emphasize on “what is possible” rather than “what is impossible”. Lay stress on positive words such as thanks, warm, may I, jovial, committed, healthy, etc.
- Empathize with the audience and exhibit interest in the audience will definitely stimulate a positive reaction from the receiver.
- Clarity – Clarity implies emphasizing on a specific message or goal at a time, rather than trying to achieve too much at once. The following features need to be highlighted:
- It makes understanding of the concept easy.
- It makes use of exact, concrete and appropriate words.
- The meaning of message is enhanced as there is complete clarity of thoughts and ideas.
- Concreteness – Concrete communication should not be fuzzy and general but implies being clear and particular. It strengthens the confidence. Concrete message has following features:
- It makes use of words that are clear.
- Concrete messages are not misunderstood and misinterpreted.
- It is supported with clear and specific facts and figures.
- Courtesy – Courtesy in message implies the message should respect the receiver as well as show the sender’s expression. The sender of the message should be sincerely polite, enthusiastic, judicious and reflective. Courteous message has the following features:
- Courtesy implies taking into consideration both viewpoints as well as feelings of the receiver of the message.
- It is not at all partial.
- Courteous message is positive and audience is the focus
- It makes use of words framed in such a manner that it shows respect for the receiver of message.
- Correctness – Correctness in communication implies that there are no grammatical and semantic errors in communication. Correct communication has following features:
- The message is correct, exact and well-timed.
- It checks for the exactness and precision of figures and facts used in the message.
- It makes use of appropriate and correct language in the message.
- If the communication is correct, it boosts up the confidence level.
- Correct message has better impact on the audience/ readers.
Awareness of these 7 C’s of communication makes you an effective communicator.