Workshop conducted by
Ms. Jaya Cherian and Dr. Reni Francis
Date: 29th September, 2015
Life Skills are the abilities that helps promote mental well being and competence in young people as they face the realities of life.
Objectives of the workshop:
- empower our students towards Life Skill Education
- be able to explore alternatives
- weigh pros and cons
- make rational decisions
- communicate effectively
- be assertive
- Decision Making: This was done through an activity of “Survival Shopping”
- Creative Thinking: This was done through an activity that could encourage lateral thinking, planning and creativity. A situation was given and students were asked to come with a solution for the same.
- Critical Thinking: A Brain teaser activity was given, responses for the same was discussed in the class.
- Effective Communication: Dumb Charade – Old Movie names were given and student teachers were asked to enact the same.
- Problem Solving: A case study was given and real life challenges were elicited and the best possible solution was encouraged.
- Interpersonal Relationship: Discussion based on the Decision Making
- Self Awareness: Self Awareness Questionnaire was given to the students and was asked to rate them on a 4 point scale and in the end the personality traits were discussed.
- Empathy: A video clipping on Jessica Cox was shown to develop an attitude of Empathy among them.
- Coping with Stress: To learn the level of stress (distress) in their life, the student teachers were asked to relate the Personal Life Events Analysis that has occurred within the past 12 months and calculate the value to know the stressors.
- Coping with Emotions: A questionnaire consisting of Yes and No questions were asked and the student teachers were asked to rate the maximum Yes or No responses which lead them to know their emotional self.
Conclusion: This helped to remain abreast with the latest technology used in for effective life skill education. It was a great opportunity for our student teachers in getting acquainted with the use of innovative, creative methods of teaching in class. The different strategies helped them to be aware of themselves. It highlighted the importance of group work and group decision making. The positive feedback boosted the morale of our student teachers towards this approach.